New Blog Post by Leigh Kinch-Pedrosa "How personal storytelling pops canonical bubbles"

oer-philosophy
storytelling
humans-of-oer
communications
(Leigh Kinch-Pedrosa) #1

This week I took my turn writing a blog post from the Rebus Community team. I talk about how personal storytelling can contribute to better scholarship.

“Introducing personal storytelling into academic communication is where I see an opportunity to respond to the homogeneity of the English Canon and all that it represents. Historically, surveys, journals, op-eds, textbooks, and other receptacles for knowledge have been dominated by the voices of white men. While some more diverse voice are occasionally heard in these texts, they are often relegated to a “special topics” or “feminist perspectives” subcategory. If other voices were amplified, then the diversity and therefore quality of all those knowledge receptacles would improve.”

Read the full post here.

***The above is an excerpt from a longer post. I would love to know what you think. Who are the best storytellers in your field? Tell me about some great survey texts that represent diverse voices.

1 Like
(Apurva Ashok) #2

I absolutely loved this post, Leigh! I come from a similar background, having studied English Literature, and resonated with a lot of what you said. Thanks for putting pen to (e)paper.

To your question – every time I hear Maha @bali speak, I’m always eager to keep listening. I always find myself coming away from listening to her during sessions or reading her writing with some new knowledge, or a better way to communicate my perspectives, priorities, challenges, issues etc.

@trobbins1981 is working on a wonderfully diverse and open anthology of earlier American Literature, titled *The Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature*perfect for an introductory survey course.

I’ve seen another similar book recently released by Affordable Learning Georgia titled Becoming America: An Exploration of American Literature from Precolonial to Post-Revolution.

There’s also @wardjulie’s Antología abierta de literatura hispana which is an amazing open textbook produced in collaboration with students. Another great way to bring diverse voices into the OER publishing world.

(Leigh Kinch-Pedrosa) #3

Thanks so much for your kind words Apurva. I can’t wait to have more Lit conversations with you. It was actually a talk we had that reminded me of my love for Bapsi Sidhwa.

I’ve encountered two of the texts you mentioned, @trobbins1981 and @wardjulie’s, and will have a closer look soon.

(Apurva Ashok) #4

Always happy to chat more about Lit. and let these conversations remind us about other wonderful authors and storytellers. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to hearing what you think.