Philosophy of Mind [ed: Heather Salazar]

Sounds good! :slight_smile:

It is typically found in the back matter, in non-OER textbooks and open resources alike. I’ve found many examples to confirm the same. I’d suggest placing it in the back matter, as is typical, and perhaps making it very clear in your introduction to the series that this is a collaborative effort. I do think it’s important for those accessing the book to know who all were involved in the making of the book: not just the team of authors and editors, but formatters, proofreaders, copyeditors, and more. So your introduction could point to this ‘About the Contributors’ page as well as the ‘Acknowledgements,’ perhaps, where we could publicly recognize all those involved!

@christina.hendricks, @metatechne, @xolotl, I’m just checking in to see how the copyediting and formatting is going so far. Any more questions come up?

Thanks for checking in! Colleen is doing a great job going through the chapters and we have a couple that have been passed on to Nate after I’ve gone through them, for inputting into Pressbooks. Right now I’m the bottleneck as I need to go through and answer questions or resolve comments before handing off to Nate, and I am behind! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@xolotl In addition to Chapter 3, which I noted already via email is ready for importing, chapter 0 (introduction) is just about ready too. There is just one lingering question there from me to Colleen, but you could also weigh in as well…it’s a small wording question.

Waiting on author replies to questions on chapters 2 and 4, and then they’ll be ready!

Thanks for the update! I’m glad things are going well :smiley: Slow and steady progress is good, so don’t worry about it. Looking forward to hearing more from you and the team as you get on.

@xolotl Chapters 0-5 are ready for importing into Pressbooks! It looks like there is already a draft of Chapter 1 in there, but that is just there for demonstration purposes when I was learning how to do Pressbooks. It should be overwritten with the new version.

If you’d like me to do any of the importing please let me know.

Oh, and please ignore the bolding in the google doc chapters. The words are bolded because eventually I’m hoping we can add a glossary that will have definitions for those terms. I’m keeping the bolding in the google docs versions for later reference, but since we don’t have a glossary yet it won’t make sense to have them bolded in the Pressbooks version at this point. I’ll go back and change later if we get a glossary going.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

OK folks, sorry for the delay…I was on vacation this past week. I’ll work to get all the ready chapters moved no later than tomorrow eve (8 Jul).

1 Like

Again, sorry for the delay! Ch0–1 and About the Authors are now moved to PB. I will work on Ch2–5, which I understand are ready. If someone can come behind and doublecheck that the move didn’t introduce issues, that is something else that needs to be done.

FYI, I’m taking the extra step to remove double spaces (as they aren’t well handled in HTML and are an unnecessary anachronism :wink: and to ensure blockquotes are carried through.

Ch2 is now in PB: https://press.rebus.community/intro-to-phil-of-mind/chapter/materialism-and-behaviorism/

Thanks for all this, Nate! I will go over the chapters in PB as soon as I can. I am also going through the copyedited ones before passing them on to you, so I am fairly familiar with each chapter as they go into PB!

@apurva, Chpt. 4 has some symbolic aspects that need to be done in LaTeX probably (or is there some other way to do it in PB?). Please take a look at Chpt. 4 in the publishing copies folder to see what I’m talking about.

Should I ask the author if she knows how to write them in LaTeX or can someone on your team help us out with that? I don’t know how to do it. Thanks!

@xolotl, thanks for the update! I see that Chapters 1-5 are all in Pressbooks now, along with the introduction. It’s all looking great (kudos to Colleen @metatechne for copyediting it all too)! :smiley: I especially like how you’ve formatted the footnotes and references, and also paid careful attention to inputting alt. text for images and other best practices to ensure that the book is easily accessible. Thanks also for handling those pesky double spaces. :clap:t5:

@christina.hendricks as for the equations – it would be best if the author could write them in LaTeX, ASCii Math, or MathML, whichever they find most familiar (so we can ensure that the equations are accurate!). Pressbooks lets us display this in MathJax, which has accessibility features that can be enabled on the webbook version! You can find more information on equations and formulae in Pressbooks in their guide chapter: Math in Pressbooks. Let me know what the author says, and if this is something they are not too familiar with, we can find some other options.

This would also be good to flag with @benjamin.martin for the Logic book, too, in case any changes need to be made in Google Docs prior to formatting or in Pressbooks once chapters have been transferred.

Thanks, @apurva. I appreciate it. As an update for you and @christina.hendricks: I have just a couple hours left of work to on the last remaining docs: the final chapter and the historical-commentary boxes. The content is copyedited but each requires a lot of formatting into the proper style (i.e. Author-Date style with in-text citations rather than the Note-style with FN citations). For one chapter, this means creating the references list altogether, which is fairly straightforward for this chapter since the FN references are complete. Hence, I think I should be able to finish by the end of the week.

These are looking real spiffy, @xolotl! Do you want me to remove the line indentations for the citations in the references list in the remaining gdocs? I have just 2 documents left to copyedit (the final chapter of the text and the historical commentary boxes). And if I have time, I can go back through Ch. 6 and forward, which I’ve already completed, and remove the indents.

Sorry for the lapse in communications, I was blocked from updating this thread more as a new user, but since fixed (thanks @apurva!).

Yes, Ch0-5 are in PB, along with the author bios.

Note that Ch4 is awaiting an image caption (yes, I do think it is a best practice to indicate the title, author, source and copyright status of images in the public domain, even though not required. @apurva may have other thoughts.

Note Ch5 is awaiting proper equations pending input from the author. Happy to help there when/if the time comes, with the caveat is my latex is rusty so if the author or someone else can supply equations in one of the workable formats, that would be best. Note also that there are references to equations within the surrounding text that might also benefit from some other treatment than they have now.

Yes @metatechne the indents in references lists have to be removed manually in PB anyways, so removing them in Google Docs is probably best.

Looking great everyone! I have added the image caption to the google doc for chapter 5 (it’s chapter 5 that has the image w/o a caption, and chapter 4 that has the need for equation assistance). I can put the image caption into chapter 5 on PB when I get a chance to review the PB versions of the chapters. I have asked the author of chpt. 4 if she can work on the equations in LaTeX or another language that MathJax can use.

In other news, chapters 6 and 7 are ready to go into PB. Then we’ll just have the two docs Colleen mentions above. Almost there!

Oops, sorry. I mixed up Chs4 & 5! Thank you for catching that Christina!

I will focus on getting Chs6 & 7 into PB.

Sounds good, @christina.hendricks! Keep us posted.

Yes, agreed! Not only good practice, but also makes it easy for adapters of the book to clearly identify which images can be reused, and which ones, if any, cannot. Pressbooks lets you enter this information as part of the image metadata (accessed in the Media Library --> Select Image --> Image Attributions) and can automatically display this information at the end of each chapter (see more instructions here: https://guide.pressbooks.com/chapter/media-attributions/).

For the image in Chapter 5, it appears to be in the public domain in the US: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Duck-Rabbit_illusion.jpg. Other information could be entered as:

Hi everyone,

The author for Chpt. 4 doesn’t know how to write in any of the languages needed, but I remembered that my husband writes in LaTeX! Here is the code he gave me for the various formulae in the chapter, in order. If the formatting gets wonky here on the discussion board let me know and I can send in some other format/program.

M and P and M^1 and P^1.

[

\begin{array}{c}

M \

\Uparrow\

P

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow\

P

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow & & \Uparrow \

P & & P^1

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{cc}

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow\

P^{\text{ }}

\end{array}

& \qquad \qquad

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow & \searrow & \Uparrow \

P & & P^1

\end{array}

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & & M^1 \

\Uparrow & & \Uparrow \

P & \rightarrow & P^1

\end{array}

]

Never mind–the above is wonky/not quite right. It’s missing some marks. I can send it to Nate in a Word doc or something, if that works?

Thanks for letting us know, and how nice of your husband to try his hand at it! Please pass along my thanks to him! Looks like the formatting isn’t too great here, so I’d suggest either passing along to @xolotl via a Word document, or if he prefers, entering the code directly in Pressbooks. Will leave it to Nate to decide!

Whew, all done! I Historical commentary boxes and Ch. 8 are all set, and ready for @christina.hendricks to review when she is able. @xolotl, I went back and removed the formatted indents from the chapters that aren’t yet in PB.

Edited to add: Note that Ch. 8 has some formatting too that may need to be represented differently in PB (the formalized arguments that separate the conclusions from the premises do so with a plaintext series of underscores).

1 Like