Philosophy of Science [ed: Eran Asoulin]

This thread will be for discussions related to the Philosophy of Science book of the Introduction to Philosophy open textbook series. See the full project summary.

Book Summary:
The book is divided into three parts (with just the first two being focused on at the moment). The first part will give a historical and philosophical introduction to the philosophy of science by focussing on some major figures and major debates. The second part will focus on detailing the current and ongoing debates in the philosophy of science. The third part will focus on individual sciences and consider how the issues and theories discussed in parts one and two are manifested in particular sciences.

See the outline of chapters below for more details.

How to participate:
We are looking for authors for several chapters in the book. Please see links below for which ones!

Relevant Documents:
Outline and description of chapters
Chapter Assignments - See here to find out which chapters still need authors. Interested in possibly authoring a chapter? Let us know below or on the volunteer sign up thread for this project.
Author Guide – Read this guide to find out more about what committing to author a chapter involves.

Team: @eran-asoulin (book editor), @clhendricksbc (series editor), @zoe (Rebus project manager), @apurva … and you?

1 Like

Here is the draft outline of chapters for this book, open for comment until about the end of the first week of March. Please read and comment if you have expertise in this area!

1 Like

I added a comment to the outline, but what about a chapter on causation? The causal skepticism of Russell through the causal modeling approaches used today?

@adamedw01 Thanks for your feedback, Adam! I’ll let @eran-asoulin, book editor, address your question about the chapter on causation. :slight_smile:

And I just sent you an email, Adam…I hadn’t seen this post! I was not always getting notifications from this forum before it was redesigned; hopefully I’ll get them now!