Title: Northern and Indigenous Health and Healthcare
Lead editor(s): Heather Exner-Pirot, University of Saskatchewan
Rebus project manager: Zoe Wake Hyde
Subject: Public Health, Nursing, Health Sciences
Target audience: Undergraduate/graduate students in public health, nursing, and the health sciences; and health professionals working in northern and Indigenous communities.
Target release date: Fall, 2018 (tentative)
This Open Education textbook is designed to provide a resource on health and healthcare from a northern perspective that can be used in classrooms for colleges and universities across the Circumpolar countries and beyond. The provision of northern health care entails many unique challenges and circumstances that are rarely represented in mainstream health sciences education. This book will present content from perspectives across the eight Circumpolar countries on the following themes:
● Health issues in northern and Indigenous communities
● Health systems and governance
● The social determinants of health in northern and Indigenous communities
● Culture and health
● Professional practice in rural/remote/isolated communities
Learning objectives for this textbook include:
● Understanding the unique healthcare needs and professional responsibilities that result from remoteness and population sparsity
● Identifying the social, environmental and cultural aspects of a community that inform and impact care needs
● Appreciating traditional and Indigenous medicines and approaches to healing as part of a holistic care system
● Exploring the similarities and differences in northern health care across the circumpolar region.
A PDF copy of the project description can be accessed by clicking on the following link: 1512066128973-northern-indigenous-health-opened-textbook-summary.pdf (48.1 KB)
We are currently looking for:
● Chapter and sub-section authors
● Copy editors for the first round of chapter drafts
● Peer reviewers for the chapters
If you are interested in providing any of the aforementioned help, please email our research co-ordinator, Stan Yu, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recognition of Contributors
This project couldn’t happen without your participation. All contributing authors will be credited prominently in their chapter, the book and promotional materials. All editors, reviewers and other contributors will also be credited.
The first draft of the table of contents can be accessed via the following link: (NIHOT table of contents - January 25, 2018.pdf )
1512066005720-northern-indigenous-health-opened-editorial-style-guidelines.pdf (77.8 KB)